Saturday, April 18, 2020

FOR GRANTED: NOT AN OPTION


These very unusual times have forced us all to experience things we're not used to. They're uncomfortable and they seem at times foreboding. Some of us are struggling with different realities in the midst of it. Whether it's a loss of jobs and income or the stark realities of isolation and the effects of not being able to be around those who we are close to or being stuck in the same place without any ability to enjoy the freedom this country offers us, as time moves on the stagnation is depressing, to say the least.

I just got back from spending a couple weeks with my dad. While I was there I met and walked with my cousin Paul. Paul's wife, my cousin Carol whom I was very close to since childhood, passed away a year ago at the age of 69. We walked in the cemetery where she is buried. Most of the parks here in St. Louis 
are closed so the cemetery is big. It was a great time to get out in the fresh air, have conversation and spend time with God. 

As I walked there, the thought began to grow in my mind as I looked at so many graves about the brevity of life. I started thinking about all the things we take for granted and the inconveniences that are, well in many cases really not so inconvenient. I thought about all the people who pass us by everyday, all headed to the same destination.

Each day I began to look at the tombstones and read about some of the people who are there. A few stood out, grabbing my attention. So I thought I'd share one with you that might just inspire you to grab on to what God has given you and appreciate it more than you ever have.

Charles and Margaret Eime were both born over 150 years ago. Like many of us, they were a typical couple who fell in love and spent their lives together. But the Eime's were different in that they experienced a series of tragedies that would stop most of us dead in our tracks. Charles and Margaret lost 7 children, four of which died in infancy while the other three were 1, 2 and 9 over 13 years. To add sorrow to the story, their second child, Laura, died in the same year as their third child who has no name. As I put my hand on their stone, and having lost a child myself, I could feel the reality of their pain and loss, their deep sorrow and grief. As I was feeling the sadness I began to realize the incredible power of their love for each other. That in the midst of such tragedy their love held them together through the most horrendous of times and moved them forward through the years in spite of it all. I can't imagine losing 7 children over the course of 13 years. Margaret and Charles held each one of those children in their arms and then laid them all to rest.

In this time of deep uncertainty and all that faces each one of us, I want to encourage you, take nothing for granted. Cherish every moment. Live like each day is your last. Don't come out of this and go back to life the way it was. Don't long for the past or the good old days. Reset the agenda. Reboot! Realize that as quickly as this happened, it can happen again and probably will. Love hard, love deep. Find God, and if you've already found Him, make Him a priority. Take time to talk to Him, but even more, take time to listen. Don't waste another minute on things that don't matter and make time for those that do. Matthew 6:25-34 is a good reminder.

May Adonai bless you and keep you; may He make His face shine on you and show you His favor; may He lift up His face towards you and give you peace.

Steven Bliss
© 4/18/20

No comments:

Post a Comment